Seems like everything out there in the world of blogs, news and articles is a numbered list: 6 Ways To Do This or 8 Top Tips or 3 Easy Ways. I get the number, thing, I really do, but I can’t help but think: What’s the over/under on how many of these are totally wasting my time?
So in the interest of making something important make sense, and because we’re almost in a new year and with apologies to all of you fine Numbered List People including David Letterman, here are my the a collection of Top 13 questions I think you should be asking yourself before you do, think or say anything in 2011 (Or 2010, or 2012 or 2013, for that matter):
1. Is this worth exchanging one minute/hour/day of my life for?
2. Will this matter to me next week/month/year?
3. Am I doing/saying/wanting/thinking this for the right reasons?
4. What happens if I do this/don’t do this?
5. What is the worst thing that could happen?
6. Is this worst thing potentially funny in any way? (Heehee.)
7. Is this congruent with who I am, what I stand for and what I truly desire for myself?
8. Am I simplifying or complicating?
9. Will this bring me closer to being my best self (sorry if that is too-Oprah)?
10. In the grand scheme of things, is this important? (Alternate: Forest or trees?)
11. Do I have all of the information I need to do/say/think this?
12. Am I going with my gut or with that “should” BS?
13. Is this real or is this distracting me from facing real?
I could probably make this a 100 question list, but I am tired and I also need to generate some revenue and I want to hear your questions and contributions to this list, so have at it!
(Go ahead, print this out, you know you want to!)